Italian Roasted Tomatoes
I’d like to share a simple recipe from my mom's cookbook for a delicious Italian side dish. It's easy to make, healthy, and particularly suitable for cooking in bulk. I usually bake a couple of trays ahead of time and eat them throughout the week with my salad, meat or fish.
Although it takes quite a long time to cook (about an hour and a half), preparation time is only 20 minutes. Set a timer and focus on other activities or just relax while you’re waiting.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
6 tomatoes on the vine (c. 2 inches/5 cm diameter)
1/2 cup/150 grams bread crumbs
1 clove of garlic
1 bunch Parsley
Olive Oil (4 tbsp for mixture + more for drizzling)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)
2. Slice the tomatoes in half, and make a few little cuts on the top of the tomatoes, so that the oil filters through. Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes, and add a pinch of salt.
3. Finely chop the garlic and the parsley
4. In a bowl, place the bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, a pinch of salt, and 4 tbsp of olive oil to coat the mixture. If the mixture seems dry, add more olive oil. Add salt to taste.
5. Place the tomato halves on a baking tray. Top the bread crumb mixture on each tomato.
6. Bake in the oven for 90 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 10 -1 15 minutes before serving.
For a gluten-free, grain-free option, you can substitute the bread crumbs with ground almonds.
And... Buon Appetito!
Do you need some motivation to get and stay healthy?
to my newsletter to receive practical tips on how to fit healthy into your busy life!
Your health transformation starts here.