Broccoli, Zucchini Noodles and Almond Salad
Have you ever heard of a spiralizer, or do you own one? For those of you who have never heard of it, a spiralizer is a tool that turns fresh vegetables into noodle shapes. Spiralizers are great tools to add to your kitchen. They’re cheap to buy (I got mine from Amazon for less than $20) and you can make so many easy recipes with it. So, it's a must-have if you want to add variety to your plate.
I had a broccoli and zucchini noodles salad a few months ago in a cafe in central London and fell in love with it. Zucchini and broccoli can be a little bit bland without the right dressing, but the sesame oil and roasted almonds bring all the flavours together in this green goddess mix. I went back a few times to the same cafe and had the same salad just to try to reverse-engineer the recipe so I could create it at home.
Serves: 2 people (as a main) or 4 people (side)
Preparation time: 20 minutes (time may vary depending on boiling time)
600 gr Broccoli (fresh or frozen)
2 medium zucchini
50 gr almonds
2 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of salt
1. Put about 4 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil
2. Wash the zucchini (do not peel) and make noodles using a spiralizer
3. Boil the broccoli until soft.
4. Put some olive oil and the garlic cloves in a pan and fry for a minute.
5. Add the broccoli and stir fry for another 3-4 minutes. Set aside and leave to cool.
6. Heat an empty pan at medium heat for about one minute and toast whole almonds or almonds flakes until lightly brown (you will notice a nice roasting smell - yum!)
7. Place broccoli, zucchini noodles and roasted almonds in a salad bowl. Mix roasted sesame oil, olive oil and salt to dress your salad.
- To make this a main dish, serve it with salmon flakes or salmon fillet. This is also a good way to add some extra protein and Omega 3.
- Add some sun-dried tomatoes for extra-flavor!
Do you need some motivation to get and stay healthy?
to my newsletter to receive practical tips on how to fit healthy into your busy life!
Your health transformation starts here.