Grain, Gluten and Sugar-Free Italian Ciambellone (Marble Pound Cake)
Pound Cake, or Ciambellone like we call it in Italy, is one of those things that reminds me of my childhood. For several years every morning I used to dunk a slice of Ciambellone in my warm milk before going to school. It was delicious and comforting, but I was having dessert for breakfast, which was amazing as a kid, but less ideal as an adult with a slower metabolism.
Yet, I don't want to give up a dessert that I love so much, so I made some tweaks to make it more manageable for my diet. I swapped regular flour for almond flour, caster sugar for erythritol, regular butter for grass-fed butter and made this sugar-free, grain-free, gluten-free Ciambellone. Now I can indulge with no guilt!
2/3 cup (150 gr) butter (softened)
1 cup (170gr) erythritol
3 cup (340 gr) almond flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 large eggs (room temperature)
3/4 cup (225 gr) sour cream
2 tbsp lemon extract/juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup powdered erythritol (made in a food processor)
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
2. In a large bowl stir together almond flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In another bowl, beat together butter and erythritol until well mixed. Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract.
4. Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients gradually, using a hand mixer until you have a smooth batter.
5. Place half of the batter on a separate bowl and add the cocoa powder. Stir thoroughly
6. Grease a bundt pan (I used a silicon pan) and pour half of the white batter, distributing evenly. Pour the chocolate batter and then add in the remainder of the white batter. Using a knife or skewer, make a few swirls in the batter to create the marble effect.
7. Bake for about 40 minutes. Then cover the top with some foil and bake for another 25 minutes or until a tooth picks comes out clean. Let cool for at least 2 hours before removing from the pan.
8. To make the glaze, mix erythritol, vanilla extract and water and drizzle on top of the cake using a piping bag or a spoon.
Do you need some motivation to get and stay healthy?
to my newsletter to receive practical tips on how to fit healthy into your busy life!
Your health transformation starts here.